Before they explode, know the fireworks safety code:
Millions of people throughout many centuries have enjoyed fireworks. Accidents can happen with anything though – anytime, anywhere. Don’t let it happen to you with fireworks, because the consequences of carelessness with fireworks can be devastating.
The guidelines for a safe fireworks party are very simple:
ALWAYS FOLLOW THE FIRWORK CODE
- Do not buy fireworks from UNLICENCED retailers.
- Unlicensed retailers could be selling fireworks that may be unsafe and illegal.
- Only buy fireworks that comply with current British safety standards.
- Always keep fireworks in a closed box.
- Take them out one at a time and close the box.
- Never put fireworks in your pocket.
- Be considerate. Let your neighbours know you will be having a display, especially if they are elderly or they have pets or children.
- Avoid setting fireworks off late at night, particularly if it is a school-night.
- Ensure your pets are safe.
- Carefully follow the instructions on EACH firework.
- Never go back to a lit firework unless the instructions advise otherwise.
- Never throw fireworks; it is dangerous.
- Light fireworks one at a time, at the end of the fuse, and at arm’s length.
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear suitable gloves, even when lighting them.
- Never give sparklers to a child under the age of 5.
- Never throw spent fireworks on a bonfire.
STAY SAFE, BE CONSIDERATE, AND DON'T BECOME A NUISANCE
IF YOU MISUSE FIREWORKS YOU COULD BE FINED AND PROSECUTED